Sun Life Family Health Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pharmacist, Per Diem - Arizona,
at Sun Life Family Health Center
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Pharmacist promotes and restores patients’ health by dispensing medication as prescribed by the health care provider; supervises the day-to-day operation of the pharmacy; contributes to the long-term planning of the clinic; and develops/trains pharmacy staff.
In outlying sites, the Pharmacist has matrix reporting responsibilities to both the Director of Pharmacy and the Site Manager.
A. Prepare and dispense medication orders/prescriptions per physician request according to established policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Interpret medication orders/prescriptions and transcribe to computerized patient medication profiles accurately. Maintain accurate, complete patient medication profiles.
- Issue controlled substances to patients’ and clinic areas and maintains records as required by law.
- Issue emergency and clinic supply medications and supplies to nursing pods promptly and accurately.
- Identify medication order or prescription processing problems or concerns, propose solutions, implement solutions, and conduct follow-up.
B. Ensure safe, appropriate, cost-effective medication therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Monitor medication therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, drug-laboratory test interactions, allergies, appropriateness of drug and dose, and therapeutic duplications.
- Detect and report suspected adverse drug reactions and medication errors accurately and in a timely manner.
- Sustain the formulary by minimizing non-formulary procurements, utilizing therapeutic substitution protocols, and promoting rational medication therapy selection.
- Provide clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners. Suggest appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff, as needed.
- Provide accurate, adequate, and timely drug information to the professional staff and patients.
- Document all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely.
- Participate in the quality improvement and medication-use review activities of the department. Collect data, conduct quality monitors and inspection, and maintain logs, record, and other documentation as assigned.
- Participate in the development and presentation of orientation, education, and training programs to the pharmacy, medical, nursing, and other staffs.
C. Contribute to the quality and effective operation of the department.
- Monitor and contribute to staff performance by coaching, mentoring,counselling, and disciplining pharmacy personnel if necessary.
- Supervise and direct pharmacy support personnel. Verify the daily activities of pharmacy technicians. Participate in the performance appraisal of pharmacy support personnel.
- Work independently with minimal supervision. Organize and prioritize work assignments. Ensure pharmacy services are provided in a timely manner.
- Complete and document inspections of all assigned medication storage areas. Identify and replace outdated and unusable medications.
- Answer the telephone, identifying self and department. Direct calls to appropriate personnel. Answer requests at the pharmacy window.
- Keep pharmacy areas and equipment clean, neat, and well organized.
- Maintain optimal medication and supply inventory by studying usage reports, identifying trends, anticipating need, and approving pharmaceutical order
- Demonstrate proficiency in pharmacy automation/robotic system calibration, maintenance, and use.
- Ensure optimal operation of all pharmacy equipment by reading and following manufacturer instructions, maintenance schedules, troubleshooting problems, and calling for repairs if necessary.
- Perform essential duties of the pharmacy director in his/her absence.
D. Maintains competence required for current job title/position.
- Maintain current pharmacist licensure.
- Attend pharmacy staff meetings.
- Attend orientation, education, and training programs. Review literature and other materials pertinent to the practice of pharmacy.
- Complete all competence/skills assessment requirements.
- Punctual and dependable; report to work as scheduled. Absenteeism and tardiness is within policy guidelines.
- Maintain a neat, professional, well-groomed appearance. Observe pharmacy dress code. Wear identification badge at all times.
- Perform work within specified timeframes. Adapt positively to frequent interruptions and changes in workload and/or work schedule.
- Provide courteous, cooperative, and timely service to patients, visitors, and staff. Demonstrate good oral and written communication.
- Work cooperatively with all staff. Voice concerns and suggestions to appropriate persons in a positive manner.
- Demonstrate sound judgment consistent with training/ academic background.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of patient, visitor, and employee information. Comply with HIPAA Privacy Rule standards.
- Foster a team environment by providing orientation and training to new teammembers. Assist coworkers in tasks, as time permits.
- Adhere to Sun Life policies and procedures. Comply with all requirements related to risk management, safety, medication-use safety, security, fire safety, and infection control. Comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations.
- Participate in in-service/education regarding Quality Improvement
- Perform all other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Accountability- Role Model, mission, vision and shared values
- Customer Focus:
Has a clear understanding of internal customers needs, preferences, timelines and decision-making criteria
Recognizes that building long-term customer satisfaction is the key to employee engagement
- Teamwork - If someone needs help, help them
- Initiative - Be innovative, apply fresh ideas and continuously improve how you do your work
- Confidentiality - Maintains strict confidentiality and respect the privacy of others
- Ethical -Demonstrate consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer
- Respect - Demonstrate consideration
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience as a Pharmacist in a similar setting preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an accredited School of Pharmacy with a B.S. or PharmD degree.
- Current State Board of Pharmacy Arizona License
[x] High School Diploma or GED
[ ] Technical Certification: ____________________
[x] License: Arizona State Registered Pharmacist (R.Ph.)
[ ] Experience in [ ] addition to cert/degree;
[ ] in lieu of cert/degree
[x] Degree: Pharmacology
[x] Bilingual (English-Spanish) Preferred (based on patient/staff balance)
[x] Computer literate
[ ] Typing
[x] Filing procedures
[x] Money handling
[ ] Calculator, office machines, etc.
[x] Balancing [x] Carrying [ ] Climbing
[ ] Crawling [x] Crouching [x] Feeling
[x] Fingering [x] Grasping [x] Kneeling
[x] Lifting 50 lbs. [x] Pulling [x] Hearing (communicate)
[x] Talking (communicate) [ ] Sitting [x] Standing (mobility)
[x] Walking (mobility) [x] Vision: far [x] Vision: near
[x] Vision: color [x] Vision: depth [x] Vision: (w/assistance)
[x] Airborne particles [x] Muscular strain
[x] Chemicals [x] Caustics
[x] Electrical current [x] Fumes
[x] Noise [x] Odors
[x] Sharps [x] Body fluids
The above statement reflects the general duties considered necessary to perform the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.