City of Phoenix
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
UCR Crime Coding Specialist (Police Coding Clerk)
at City of Phoenix
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Crime Coding Specialists read, collect, interpret, and audit crime related information from incident and arrest reports and encode information based on Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) standards. These positions also work in cooperation with members of the Crime Analysis and Research Unit to facilitate the identification of crime trends and patterns identified via quality assurance review of crime reports. Duties of UCR Crime Coding Specialists include reading police crime reports and determining the appropriate federal offense category; collecting and encoding data; sorting and entering codes into various computer databases; and performing related clerical tasks with specific attention to detail and data quality. These positions utilize knowledge of Arizona Revised Statutes, Uniform Crime Reporting Summary Reporting standards, National Incident-Based Reporting criteria, and police terminology.
This recruitment may be used by any department for any current or future vacancies over the life of the eligible list.
Listed below are general factors for disqualification regarding civilian employment with the Phoenix Police Department:
- Felonies: Conviction of a job-related felony.
- Misdemeanors: Conviction of a job-related misdemeanor within the last 3 years.
- Drug Use: Illegal marijuana use occurring within the last 12 months.
- Other Illegal drug use occurring within the last 5 years.
- Financial: Job-related negative financial history occurring within the last 5 years.
- Driving: Job-related negative driving history occurring within the last 5 years.
Note: Exceptions may apply and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
First review of applications will occur the week of May 14, 2018. This recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
$15.40 (minimum) - $22.48 (maximum) hourly / $32,032 - $46,758 annually.
Comprehensive benefits package includes: 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 15 sick days, free bus/light rail pass, traditional pension and 457/401 plans, tuition reimbursement upon hire, choice of Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Cigna HMO, PPO. For more details, visit: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Benefit%20Category/003.pdf
- One year of experience performing specialized clerical work involving the entry, review and classification of records, preferably on criminal justice-related information.
- Must be able to remain in a sitting position and be able to read documents on a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Incumbents may be required to work weekends, holidays, and/or variable hours. Vacation and shift assignments are determined by seniority.
- Positions in the Police Department must meet the polygraph and background standards that are appropriate to non-sworn positions. The general factors for disqualification are listed at https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/Documents/disqualifierscivilian.pdf
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Includes the job requirements listed above, plus:
- Experience with Uniform Crime Reporting Summary Reporting (UCR SRS) Standards
- Experience with Uniform Crime Reporting National Incident-Based Reporting System (UCR NIBRS) criteria.
- Knowledge of the Arizona Revised Statutes.
- Knowledge of police terminology.
- Experience using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with Hexagon InPursuit records management system (RMS) client and field based reporting (FBR) screens.
- Only the highest qualified will be posted to the eligible to hire list.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME,
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please visit: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/Talent-Acquisition/Employment-Information.pdf
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Police Coding Clerk, JC: 01260, ID# 27069, 4/28/18, 6 mos, DD, Benefits: 03, Q
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer; our employees demonstrate superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.