City of Phoenix
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Police Communications Operator - Lateral
at City of Phoenix
ABOUT THIS POSITION
$19.49 - $28.57 hourly / $40,539 to $59,426 annual equivalent
+ excellent benefit package. Multiple positions available.
Apply for Police Communications Operator - Lateral if you have a minimum of one year continuous full-time experience as a Police 911 Call Taker and/or Police Radio Dispatcher (after completing probation).
The City of Phoenix is seeking experienced Police Communications Operators who demonstrate the ability to calmly work with the citizens of Phoenix and police officers while using a multi-line telephone system, radio network panel, and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system to receive, prioritize, and process calls for police services. Police Communications Operators are required to work both as a Call Taker, answering 911/Crime Stop calls, and Radio Dispatch.
Note: If you have not worked as a Police Communications Operator or have less than one year of continuous full-time experience as a fully trained Police 911 Call Taker and/or Police Radio Dispatcher (after completing probation), please apply online for Police Communications Operator at www.phoenix.gov/employment
Click on the link below to learn more about the position of Police Communications Operator
Hiring Process: Applicants must successfully complete all phases of the hiring process. This includes a typing test from dictation, a computerized simulation exam, panel interview and a background process.
Polygraph: Due to the sensitive nature of positions within the Police Department, all applicants must successfully complete a polygraph examination which will be administered by a state-licensed Police Polygraph Examiner. The polygraph will cover moral standards, integrity, truthfulness, criminal activity, drug usage, and employment history. Questions regarding the polygraph examination may be directed to the Police Department Employment Services Bureau at (602) 262-6925.
Training: This job requires the successful completion of a classroom and on-the-job training program within 8 months of hire and employees must demonstrate the ability to satisfactorily perform all required job duties within 12 months of hire. All Police Communications Operators are required to perform required functions as a 9-1-1/Crime Stop Call Taker and Radio Dispatcher in order to maintain employment.
Hours of Work: After successful completion of the training program new hires can expect to work evening or graveyard shifts including weekends and holidays. Shifts and vacations are determined by seniority.
Listed below are general factors for disqualification regarding civilian employment with the Phoenix Police Department:
- Felonies: Conviction of a job-related felony
- Misdemeanors: Conviction of a job-related misdemeanor within the last 3 years
- Drug Use: Illegal marijuana use occurring within the last 3 years
- Other Illegal drug use occurring within the last 5 years
- Financial: Job-related negative financial history occurring within the last 5 years
- Driving: Job-related negative driving history occurring within the last 5 years
Note: Exceptions may apply and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
Resumes reviewed weekly. Recruitment may close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
$19.49 (minimum) - $28.57 (maximum) hourly / $40,539 - $59,426 annually. Appointment can be made above the minimum depending upon qualifications.
Comprehensive benefits package includes: 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 15 sick days, free bus/light rail pass, traditional pension and 457/401 plans, tuition reimbursement upon hire, choice of Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Cigna HMO, PPO. For more details, visit: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Benefit%20Category/003.pdf
- One year continuous full-time experience as a Police 911 Call Taker and/or Police Radio Dispatcher (after completing probation).
- Lateral applicants cannot have been separated from a law enforcement agency for more than 12 months at the time of application.
- Ability to accurately type 40 words per minute (net) from dictation.
- Computer knowledge using Windows based programs.
- Ability to spell accurately.
- Ability to communicate clearly and be easily understood by others.
- Ability to sit or stand while on the telephone and using multiple computer monitors for 8-12 hours per day.
- Ability to multi-task using the telephone and radio while simultaneously inputting and accessing data on the computer.
- Ability to react under time-sensitive, stressful, and critical situations.
- Ability to accurately follow directions in a fast-paced environment.
- This is a 24-hour per day, 7-day per week operation. Employees are required to work evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Vacation and shift assignments are determined by seniority.
- Positions in the Police Department must meet the polygraph and background standards that are appropriate to non-sworn (civilian) positions. The general factors for disqualification are listed at https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/disqualifierscivilian.pdf
- Only the highest qualified will be posted to the eligible to hire list.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME,
Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
If eligible for the position, you will be contacted to move on in the next step of the process.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please visit: https://employee.phoenix.gov/Documents/Employment_Information.pdf
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Police Comm Op - Lateral, JC 01830: ID# 26553, 3/18/18, 12 mos, DD, Benefits: 003, Q
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer; our employees demonstrate superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.